I think working at a centre and studying ECE has many pros for example:
- Studying and learning different curriculums like Te Whariki
- Putting theories into practise
- Gaining work experience and being able to work along side a team that is in your sector. I am able to get advice and different perspectives
- I can discuss topics in class as I have experienced working in a centre
- Time management skills, able to multitask
- Being able to work for your own money and not depend on parents or caregivers. I am able to spend and save my own money
- Having a manager that allows me to have flexible hours during school
Cons of studying and working at the same time:
- Can be stressful as you have to stay on top of your work or you will fall behind
- Trying to manage work, study and socialising. At times it can be a lot to take in and you just need to take a break and spend time by yourself every now and then.
I think overall the pros of studying ECE and working at the same time for me personally outweigh the cons. I know that every student is different and what works well for me may not work well for them. I believe that is why it is important to find what works best for you, so that you are able to succeed while studying and working.